Summertime means fun by the pool. Make sure your pool parties are fun and worry-free with these simple safety and maintenance tips.
Put Pool Safety First
Here are five ways to make sure everyone (including pets) has a great time at the pool.
- Keep kids and pets out of danger with a pool fence or gate. Consider adding a contact sensor to the entryway so you’ll get notifications any time the gate is opened.
- Make swimming lessons a priority.
- Invest in pool safety equipment.
- Designate the deep end. Consider adding a float rope between the shallow and deep ends to help swimmers that float too far.
- Post pool rules. A list of pool rules (like no running!) is helpful for both household members and visitors.
Make Pool Maintenance a Priority
Proper maintenance extends the life of your pool and makes it safer. Here are five pool maintenance tips to add to your list.
- Keep the pool area clear. Pool accessories can turn into tripping hazards. Bins and baskets make it easy to organize wet towels and toys after swimming.
- Stay on top of yard debris. Sticks, leaves and other yard debris can hurt bare feet and make your pool dirty. Skim the surface of your pool daily or use a robotic pool vacuum to save time and effort.
- Check chemicals at least once a week. Balanced chemical levels help swimmers avoid skin and eye irritation and inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- Keep your filter clean. About once a week, turn off the filter, remove the filter cap and clear out any gathered debris. Once a month, give your system a fresh start by setting your filter to “backwash” to clean out the pipes.
- Clean oils out of the water. Pools get their fair share of grease and oils from sunscreen, hair products, and natural body oils. Try throwing in a tennis ball. Tennis ball fibers attract these oils and will keep your pool’s surface from developing a slick sheen.
Whether you have an in-ground or an above-ground pool, proper maintenance and safety measures will maximize your summer fun. We hope these tips help you enjoy a stress-free summer. And don’t forget—we’re always here to help with any home financing needs.